Pre Conditions for Getting a Divorce in Singapore
When you’re facing the decision to divorce, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed by the thought and the processes that are involved. Importantly, you need correct informationon the requirements to divorce. Where do you get it, though? For most men &women, advice from friends just isn’t enough. A competent Specialist Singapore Divorce lawyer will guide you through this often confusing and frustrating time with accurate and to the point information. Below is a guide to establish the requirements for Divorce in Singapore.
Courts Must have Jurisdiction
You and your spouse must be domiciled in Singapore (Singapore as your permanent home) at the start of divorce proceedings OR if either party has resided in Singapore for 3 years. For clarification, your divorce lawyer will be able to further clarify you on this requirement.
Parties must have passed the “3 year marriage bar”
You must have been married for at least 3 years before filing through your divorce lawyer. However, you may obtain the Court’s permission to file for a divorce before the 3 year bar if you can prove “exceptional circumstances” or “exceptional hardship”.
Grounds for Getting a Divorce in Singapore
The on playground for getting a divorce is that the marriage has irretrievably broken down.
Facts to prove in an “irretrievable breakdown” include:
- The Defendant committed adultery and the Plaintiff finds it intolerable to live with the Defendant
- The Defendant has behaved in such a manner that the Plaintiff cannot reasonably be expected to live with him/her
- The Defendant has deserted the Plaintiff for 2 years without any intention of returning
- Parties have lived apart for 3 years and the Defendant consents to divorce
- Parties have lived apart for 4 years
If you do not meet the above requirements?
You can consider drawing up up a Deed of Separation or Marital Agreement. For clarity and peace of mind, always seek advice from your Singapore Divorce Lawyer.